Boiler breakdowns can, and often do, tend to occur at the most inconvenient times. The majority of boiler breakdowns happen in the cold winter months, when your boiler will have been inactive during warmer weather. When the boiler is forced back to life, considerable strain can be put on your central heating system, especially if it is an older boiler that is working to heat your home. At ProLine Plumbing, we understand that when it comes to your boiler, you will want the problem fixed as soon as possible.
Common Boiler Faults
Some problems with your heating system can be addressed without calling your plumber, but if you are in doubt it is always advisable to contact an experienced and qualified professional to make sure that everything is safe. Below are some common boiler faults that ProLine Plumbing can help you with:
- No hot water or heating – causes for no heat or hot water can include diaphragms and airlocks, issues with the thermostat, low water levels or failure of motorized valves.
- Banging, whistling or gurgling noises coming from your heating system – a common cause for this is air in your system, or your boiler could be kettling due to the water pressure being too low. If you have an older system, imminent pump failure could be a cause for banging noises.
- Dripping and leaking – your plumber will need to determine where the water is leaking or dripping from to understand the cause of this; there could be a variety of issues that cause your boiler to leak.
- Loss of pressure – if you are losing pressure then the most common reason for this will be a water leak in your system. If this is not the issue, then it is possible that a pressure relief valve needs replacing.
- Kettling – if you can hear a strange rumbling noise coming from your system this could be due to a lime scale build up on your boiler’s heat exchange.
- The pilot light goes out – this could be a draught blowing the pilot light out, a deposit built up in the pilot light, or a broken thermocouple that is stopping the gas supply.
- Problems with thermostat – you may need to buy a more efficient or newer thermostat if it is losing accuracy or turning the heating on or off at the wrong times.
- Your radiators are not getting hot – ProLine Plumbing can chemically clean or flush your system to remove any deposits or build up in the radiators that prevent a free flow of hot water.
- Your boiler switches itself off – this could be an issue with the thermostat, low water pressure, or a reduced water flow due to a closed valve, or the pump may not be circulating water accurately in the system.
- Condensate pipe is frozen – ProLine Plumbing can thaw a frozen condensate pipe.
Get in touch for more information